Howard S. Sussman, Of Counsel
Howard S. Sussman is a widely-experienced trial and appellate litigator, a prominent consultant on domestic and international business issues, and the firm’s elder statesman.
Howard’s legal practice now focuses on assisting international businesses to enter, and to expand their activities in, the American market, and on counseling domestic and international businesses on corporate planning, governance and structure. Much of Howard’s international practice comes from Sweden, a result of Howard’s decades-long broad-based relationship with Sweden and his fluency in Swedish.
Howard has also tried, arbitrated and argued on appeal many civil and criminal cases, and remains actively involved in litigation, arbitration and mediation.
Howard’s roster of clients includes multi-national corporations in industries such as industrial equipment, consumer products, computer-based activities, and language services. He serves on boards of directors of some of these corporations, represents them in various negotiated situations, counsels them on a wide variety of issues and oversees litigation relating to them.
Following a year as a Visiting Scholar in Residence at Stockholm University, Howard worked at the leading Manhattan firm Chadbourne, Parke, Whiteside & Wolff. He was thereafter an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, an Associate Professor of Law at the University of Houston, and then once again a practicing lawyer in Manhattan. He joined Wrobel Markham LLP as of counsel in April 2007.
Howard now lives in Vermont with his wife Margaret Gilmore, who is a cellist with the Arizona Opera Orchestra and other professional performance groups. Howard is regularly in New York and maintains continuous contact with the office through the internet and telephone.
- Princeton University, A.B., 1958 Honors in Chemistry
- Columbia Law School, LL.B., 1962
Columbia Law Review
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Parker School Traveling Fellowship
- Stockholms Universitet, Stockholm, Sweden 1962-63
Visiting Scholar in Residence
- State of New York
- State of Texas (inactive)
- State of Vermont (inactive)
- U.S. District Courts, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2d Circuit
- United States Tax Court
- United States Supreme Court
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Federal Bar Council
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy
Instructor, Trial Practice
- Sveriges Advokatsamfund (The Swedish Bar Association)
Instructor, Trial Practice and Cross-Examination Technique
- The Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce (New York
Member 1995 – 2015; Board of Directors (1996-2007)
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Who’s Who in America
- Who’s Who in the World