Howard S. Sussman, Of Counsel
Our friend and colleague, Howard S. Sussman, passed away on June 18, 2019.
Howard was a widely-experienced trial and appellate litigator, a prominent consultant on domestic and international business issues, and the firm’s elder statesman. He will be missed.
Howard’s legal practice focused on assisting international businesses to enter, and to expand their activities in, the American market, and on counseling domestic and international businesses on corporate planning, governance and structure. Much of Howard’s international practice came from Sweden, a result of Howard’s decades-long broad-based relationship with Sweden and his fluency in Swedish.
Howard tried, arbitrated and argued on appeal many civil and criminal cases, His roster of clients included multi-national corporations in industries such as industrial equipment, consumer products, computer-based activities, and language services. He served on boards of directors of some of these corporations, representing them in various negotiated situations, and he counseled them on a wide variety of issues.
Following a year as a Visiting Scholar in Residence at Stockholm University, Howard worked at the leading Manhattan firm Chadbourne, Parke, Whiteside & Wolff. He was thereafter an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, an Associate Professor of Law at the University of Houston, and then once again a practicing lawyer in Manhattan. He joined Wrobel Markham LLP as of counsel in April 2007.
- Princeton University, A.B., 1958 Honors in Chemistry
- Columbia Law School, LL.B., 1962
Columbia Law Review
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Parker School Traveling Fellowship
- Stockholms Universitet, Stockholm, Sweden 1962-63
Visiting Scholar in Residence
- State of New York
- State of Texas (inactive)
- U.S. District Courts, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2d Circuit
- United States Tax Court
- United States Supreme Court
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Federal Bar Council
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy
Instructor, Trial Practice
- Sveriges Advokatsamfund (The Swedish Bar Association)
Instructor, Trial Practice and Cross-Examination Technique
- The Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce (New York
Member 1995 – 2015; Board of Directors (1996-2007)
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Who’s Who in America
- Who’s Who in the World